Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Good Old Days--Remember When

I remember when the milk man would deliver milk to our door in glass bottles. he would go down the alley and stop at each house to see if you needed milk. We had a medium sizes metal box beside our door that sat on the ground. It was insulated. He would reach in and take out what bottles we had in it and replace it with the same size bottles.


We kids in the neighborhood used to beg him for chucks of ice off the truck. This was the way the milk was kept cool in those days. It was a real treat to get a chunk of ice to suck on on really hot days. Of course he really didn't have to do this and wasn't really suppose to. But he just did it to be nice to us kids.

The milk bottles had cardboard caps in them. The cream would raise to the top of the bottle and stick to this cardboard cap. I remember my sister and I would always get to it before my mother and lick off the cream and stick the cap back on. My mother never knew we did this as there was still plenty of cream left in the bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment