Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Remember these Old time remedies Part 1

I remember a time when I was very small and my grandmother had some god awful things she had to cure us. Cure us indeed! A lot of times I would try not to let her see I was sick because she always had some awful "stuff" to cure me with. Like swabbing our throats with kerosene for sore throat. I tried to not let on like my throat was sore, but some how she always knew and would bring out the kerosene.WHEEE! That stuff was AWFUL.
She used to put raw bacon on a boil and wrap it up. I once had a boil on my butt and she put 4 pieces of raw bacon on it and wrapped in and taped it and made me lay on my stomach for a week. This wasn't as bad as some of remedies tho.This one I could stand.
You didn't dare cough around grandma because if you did she had a remedy for that too. She would boil pine needles in water for about half an hour then pour off the liquid add some sugar and make us drink it. its a wonder we didn't die from all her old remedies.Of course for the common cold was always grandmas chicken soup, that's the good part but there is always a bad part. She would take the chicken fat from the chicken and rub it all over our chests and throats and wrap us in wool. God I hated that. Another one for colds was to boil onions and drain off the liquid and add just a pinch of sugar and make us drink it.

No comments:

Post a Comment